Between 2000 and 2006 deck collapses
increased 21% each year
Is Your Deck Safe? It Could be Hazardous!
Each year hundreds of people are injured in this country as a result of deck failures. Deck failures are most often caused by faulty construction methods, unsuitable or improper materials and/or by lack of maintenance. If constructed and maintained properly, decks rarely collapse due to overloading. Remember, decks are composed of natural materials exposed to weather, and, as a result, will not last forever.
Frank Lamphere, owner of The Deck Inspector a deck safety inspection service that serves Chicago and it's suburbs and A-Affordable Decks based in Lombard, Illinois says "Whenever you build or make structural repairs to a deck, it is important to make sure that the repairs are done by an expert. Also, obtain the required permits (if required) to help ensure your family and guests enjoy your deck without worry of failure or collapse". As a home owner there are some simple things you can do which may help prevent unexpected problems with your deck. Use the checklist below to help you inspect your deck for possible unsafe conditions. Better yet, have The Deck Inspector perform a professional deck inspection for your Chicago area deck or porch.
5 things to look for:
1. Check support posts and beams for rot, splitting or abnormal movement.
2. Check all fasteners, bolts, joist hangers and other hardware for rust and/or corrosion.
3. Check all guards and rails to be sure they are sturdy and secured.
4. Cracked and rotted stair stringers. Tread movement.
5. Use grills, heaters and outdoor fire pits with care.